- Have you ever tried to or felt the need to ‘Cut down’ on your smoking?
- Do you ever get ‘Annoyed’ when people tell you to quit smoking?
- Do you ever feel ‘Guilty’ and ‘Embarrassed’ about smoking?
- Do you ever smoke within a one-half hour of waking up (Eye-opener)?
Quitting smoking was never an easy road to take. It is a day-to-day struggle against addiction and each day that a person spends not lighting up a cigarette comprises a minor victory that adds up to the final accomplishment of quitting for good. Personnel at Westmount Medical Pharmacy are trained and certified under the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care sponsored training program on smoking cessation therapies.
We undertake person-to-person counseling sessions with the duration of each session, the total amount of contact time, and the number of sessions correlated with the effectiveness of smoking cessation. Depending on the amount of time you are ready to give us, we can provide the appropriate intervention to help you start along the path of a smoke-free life. Our personnel will help you choose your best option and coach you to stick to the regimen.
Health benefits over time of stopping smoking:
- Air around you no longer dangerous to children and other adults
- Blood pressure drops to normal
- Pulse rate drops to normal
- Heart rate decreases
- Carbon monoxide levels in the blood decrease to normal
- Oxygen level in the blood reaches normal
- Nerve endings begin regrowing
- Ability to smell and taste food increases
2 to 12 Weeks
- Improved breathing and lung function
- Improved circulation
- Walking becomes easier
1 to 9 Months
- Reduced coughing and sinus conditions
- Reduced shortness of breath
- Increased ability of lungs to self-clean and prevent infections
- Improved overall energy
- Excess risk of coronary heart disease reduced to half from that of a smoker
- Risk of Stroke reduced to the level of a non-smoker
- Risk of cancers of the mouth, esophagus, and throat reduced to half from that of a smoker
- Life expectancy comparable to a non-smoker
- Lung cancer risk reduced to half from that of a smoker
- Replacement of pre-cancerous cells
- Risk of coronary heart disease same as that of a non-smoker
What Westmount Medical Pharmacy does for you
Our Pharmacists use time-tested assessment techniques and tools to assess your readiness for change. Using motivational interviewing techniques, our pharmacists can help you move from the pre-contemplation stage through the contemplation stage to the preparation stage, where plans can be derived for the initiation of nicotine replacement and/or drug therapy as required and in consultations with the physician.
Continued motivational techniques and support are needed in the action stage when you have stopped smoking. The combined use of behavioral and drug therapies can dramatically improve the chance of quitting smoking.
Dealing with Relapse
We also plan for relapse should there be a need to recycle a patient through. Should a relapse happen, we have options to go through the appropriate stages if a relapse should occur.
Some of the implementation techniques we use include:
- Nicotine Replacement Therapies
- Nicotine Patch
- Nicotine Gum
- Nicotine Lozenge
- Nicotine Inhaler
- Prescription Therapies
Speak to our Pharmacists to find the best therapy for you.
Nicotine replacement is initiated on the quit date. Data indicates that use of a combination of delivery methods, such as the gum and the patch, may be useful in heavily nicotine-dependent smokers.
A number of transdermal nicotine replacement systems (Habitrol, Nicoderm CQ, and Nicotrol) are available. The results of the Fagerström Test for Nicotine Dependence can be used to determine the appropriate starting patch strength for an individual.
A nicotine inhalation system (Nicotrol Inhaler) is available by prescription.
Nicotine Nasal Spray
Nicotine replacement can also be accomplished with a nasal spray (Nicotrol NS) which is available by prescription.
Given an opportunity, it is Team Westmount’s commitment to hand-hold you to success and smoke-free life. Contact us to inquire or to set an appointment.
For more details, please visit the following websites: