Specialized compounding at Westmount Medical Pharmacy offers specialized services to patients by preparing customized medication ordered by physicians. Generally, these compounds are tailored for individual patients with singular needs.
Compounding pharmacies provide solutions which commercially available products do not. This method is also fundamental to pharmacies from way before the mass production of drugs began. Compounding retains the ideal dose of medication with the same effectiveness while modifying the flavor and/or texture. Professional compounding has reached higher demands for the past years as an innovative method of meeting each patient’s unique needs.
Our highly trained team of pharmacists will customize your prescription as per your specific needs. Each individual has a distinct way of responding to medication and there are varying situations where specialized compounding comes in to play and the following are some illustrations.
- Drugs and medications are manufactured and available in pre-set strengths that do not always suit an individual.
- Some may simply be unable to use medications in the form available given their physical condition and the same medication in a different form could serve the requirement better.
- Individuals could be allergic to additives, preservatives, dyes, etc. used in formulating medications.
Specialized compounding is always undertaken with the consent of the consulting physician and we can change the strength of a medication, alter its form to make it easier for the patient to ingest, or add flavor to make it more palatable.
Our pharmacists can use varying means to customize medication including:
- Sublingual troche, lozenges, creams, lotions, gels, & powders for external application
- Transdermal gel or cream that can be absorbed through the skin
- Liquid suspension with special flavors instead of pills and capsules for patients who cannot easily swallow
- Formulations for pediatric use of antibiotics and other hard-to-swallow medications
- Rectal & Vaginal preparations (when the oral route is not an option)
- Fertility medications
- Female Hormone Therapy – special natural compounds to treat menopause, PMS, libido changes, & endometriosis
- Natural Male Hormone Therapy – natural compounds can be used for the treatment of andropause & libido changes
Our compounding preparations include:
- Combining two or more medications
- Formulating medications in dosage forms that are not commercially available
- Changing the dosage of a medication
- Removing allergy-causing ingredients
Why is Quality Compounding Important
Quality compounding brings optimal therapeutic results for patients. That is why choosing your compounding pharmacy is crucial. You should look for a pharmacy that has trained pharmacists, state-of-the-art equipment, and high-quality chemicals for compounding. You can find all of these at Westmount Medical Pharmacy. Our compounding professionals are keen on preparing a formula to ensure your health and safety. We follow the standard operating procedures when developing a unique preparation. When preparing for a formula, we consider the physical and chemical properties of both the active ingredient and solubility, tonicity, excipients, viscosity, as well as the most appropriate dosage form or device for administering the needed medication. All of these are done so you can get the most out of your compounded medications.
Specialized Compounding at Westmount Medical Pharmacy is ‘mission sensitive’ in nature and the scope of what we do is broad with our competencies in a variety of practice specialties, such as hospice, pediatrics, pain management, etc.